Pierre Thielen Avocats has a reputed practice in the fields of private equity, M&A, restructuring transactions
and corporate litigation.
Our firm is in particular catering to demanding investors, entrepreneurs and corporate entities that seek a highly personalised
and responsive service which does not compromise on quality or success.
We always put our advice in the context of the modern business environment where other factors such as costs, reputational
issues, etc. must also find consideration. Our aim is to develop, in conjunction with our clients, innovative yet affordable
Our lawyers focus on the larger picture of their mission and have an expert knowledge of the local market. They have in many
events acted as business facilitators speeding up or salvaging transactions that appeared stuck. This is an added-value that
is highly appreciated by our clients.
Modern, forward-thinking, international and fiercely independent, our advice is regularly sought and appreciated by prominent
law firms all over the world. We have over the years set up close ties with law firms with whom we work closely for the best
benefit of our mutual clients.
A particular competitive advantage of our firm is the fact that our lawyers continue to handle both litigation and
non-litigation matters. By regularly representing our clients before the local courts and arbitration panels, our
lawyers thereby gain invaluable knowledge that is also benefitting clients in non-contentious issues.
After all, the main job of a lawyer is to identify the exact extent of a client's legal risk exposure and take
the necessary steps to avoid costly or unsuccessful legal meanderings.
Our services to corporate clients include:
- Our firm has an outstanding reputation for its corporate litigation practice with emphasis on shareholders disputes, investor litigation and liability cases. Having acted before the local courts or in arbitration proceedings in both public takeover battles and partnership disputes, we have an established track-record in this field.
- All our lawyers are court-experienced and are well qualified to handle the full spectrum of commercial and corporate litigation. We have a strong experience litigating in the field of banking and financial law, professional liability, asset recovery, real estate and construction as well as fraud cases and white collar crime.
Restructuring and sale of assets
- We are highly regarded in this field having acted on the buy side and the sale side for numerous investors, corporate entities and private equity vehicles. We are regularly asked to provide legal due diligence on the target, negotiate and draft heads of terms, review the statutory, finance and securities documents, analyse contracts prepared by opposite counsel, issue legal opinions, etc.
- We bring our extensive experience in management buy-out transactions also to the service of small and medium sized enterprises that wish to pass on their business to new managers or owners.
Articles of association and shareholders agreements
- Our firm helps our clients identify the most appropriate corporate structure for their endeavours by giving full consideration to their tax and liability requirements as well as their investment strategy.
Contracts and agreements
- Our firm is regularly retained for advising banking institutions and finance professionals on the regulatory requirements of the Luxembourg financial supervision authority (CSSF).
- In this context, we assist our clients in preparing a successful application file with the CSSF and provide follow-up advice on the professional obligations of the financial sector.
- We are often commended for drafting comprehensive and effective contracts such as merger or joint venture agreements, share transfer agreements, distribution agreements, general terms of business, etc.
- Considering that the length of a contract does not necessarily warrant for a good content, our skill is to translate a complex situation into a clear and simple worded contract.
- Further we commonly advise our clients on implementation and/or liability issues relating to existing contracts. We also have wide-ranging experience in all contracts relating to real estate and construction law.
- Our discretion and experience in corporate matters has allowed us to service numerous investors wishing to set up a holding company or a group controlling entity under Luxembourg law.
- Our corporate services include:
- registered office at our firm's address
- providing board of directors
- legal publications
- annual reports and tax filings (in conjunction with first rate service providers)
Crisis management (legal)
- Considering that the legal framework for companies is becoming more and more complex, it is often difficult for management to fully grasp the effects of non-compliance to laws and regulations.
- By examining a company's corporate documents, existing contracts and internal procedures, this service helps our clients identify their legal risks, assess their exposure to liability or potential legal action and offer them best-practice solutions to address these issues.
- In the face of a major, unpredictable crisis, it is of utmost importance to avoid any errors that may cause irreparable damage in legal proceedings at a later stage.
- Stemming from their experience in handling important matters in situations of emergency, our legal advisors may in particular help shield our clients' liability exposure or limit litigation risks.
- We also intervene in negotiations with regulators, insurers and other public authorities in the days and weeks following the crisis.
- Members of our firm have a strong reputation as arbitrators in complex commercial cases.
- We have handled cases of unfair commercial practices against our clients as well as situations of abuse of dominant positions.
- We have also advised clients in relation to procedures of the Luxembourg competition authorities.